Around the World in 80 Gardens
In the heart of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg, a further element of the green metropolis on the water will be realised by 2013: the park of the international garden show hamburg (igs 2013).
Guided by the motto „Around the World in 80 Gardens“, a special exhibition will be on display from April through October 2013, focusing on trends in plants and gardens, landscape architecture and design. An exhibition area larger than 100 hectares will provide space for a park that fulfils the modern requirements of a mobile, health-conscious, and international urban society.
A major event with supraregional appeal, the international garden show hamburg (igs 2013) will be one of the largest tourist attractions of the metropolis and port city of Hamburg. Far more than 2 million visitors and spectators are expected in 2013.
The international garden show hamburg will design 80 imaginative gardens in seven ‘worlds’ covering different topics, leading visitors on a journey through time to the landscapes of our globe. So what could be more obvious than to invite young, ambitioned people from different cultures to participate in this design effort?
For this reason, igs 2013 is asking landscape architecture students from 10 different countries to contribute to a garden show in Germany.
- Participating Universities
– University of Seoul, Seoul, Republic of Korea
– Edinburgh College of Art, School of Landscape Architecture, Edinburgh, Scotland
– École Nationale Superieure du Paysage (ENSP), Paris, France
– Estonian University of Life Sciences, Tartu, Estonia
– Escola de Belas Artes, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Melbourne, Australia
– Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain
– National University of Singapore, School of Design and Environment, Singapore
– Jomo Kenyata University of Agriculture and Technology, Department of Landscape, Nairobi, Kenya
– University of Pennsylvania (UPenn), School of Design, Faculty of Landscape Architecture, Philadelphia, USA
The task of the competition is to create an open space design for one of ten gardens selected from the 80 gardens of the international garden show hamburg 2013. Students of international universities will develop designs for a garden assigned to their universities by igs 2013. Each participating university will work on a different garden. The international garden show hamburg 2013 is looking forward to the various designs and intends to construct the winning design submitted by each university by 2013.
international garden show hamburg 2013 gmbh (igs)
creating an open space design for one of ten gardens
International Student Design Competition, 10 universities
coordination and documentation of the competition